This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

How to use this

Mar 20, 2008 at 9:16 PM
Maybe I'm missed some text, but I don't get it. How to use this tool? Can someone give some a short tutorial? I don't now where to place the files in the .zip, or which program this should open them.

Do I need the build events in visual studio or something? Or open with Sandcastle (helper)?
Apr 3, 2008 at 3:18 PM
Edited Apr 3, 2008 at 6:35 PM
Extract the ZIP file to a folder of your choice and set up a virtual directory that points to it. Optionally, you can use the .NET web server to run it like this (lines wrapped for display purposes):

"C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\WebDev.WebServer.EXE" /port:12345
    /path:C:\DotNet20\Web\AjaxDoc\ /vpath:/AjaxDoc

The above assumes you've placed the files in the C:\DotNet20\Web\AjaxDoc\ folder. Once you run the command above, you can open a web browser and navigate to http://localhost:12345/AjaxDoc/Default.aspx?project=ProjectFile to run it manually where "ProjectFile" is the name of your project configuration file.

The project configuration files are stored in the .\Projects folder and they tell AjaxDoc what to document. The <script> and <namespace> elements tell it what to document. I can't give you much more information on the config file so you'll need to play around with it to figure it out. Just look at the examples.

If you are using the Sandcastle Help File Builder, you can use the PlugInConfigurations property to add the AjaxDoc Plug-In and configure it to point to the proper URL. Once configured, you can build a help file using it. See the plug-in documentation in the SHFB help file for more information about it. If you have any other questions about SHFB or the plug-in, ask over in the SHFB Discussion page so that I see it.

Eric